to the Municipality of

Landfill Site & Recycling

Font Size
Full Width
Share On Facebook

Landfill Site & Hours

Landfill Site: 515 Beauparlant Rd, St.-Charles

Winter Hours - October 15th to April 30th

Wednesday12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.Saturday9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Summer Hours - May 1st to October 14th

Monday8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.Wednesday12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.Saturday9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

If a statutory holiday falls on Monday, Wednesday or Saturday, the landfill site will be closed.

Our landfill site is for the use of taxpayers and residents of the Municipality of St.-Charles only!

Collection Schedule

Tuesday (Including Holidays)

Items to be placed at the curb / driveway by 7:30 am

  • West Arm
  • Casimir, Jennings
  • Appleby Twp
  • Village Area

Collection Rules and Regulations

To ensure an effective collection service and a clean neighbourhood, the following is required:

  • Only household garbage and recycling will be picked up.
  • All household garbage must be in garbage bags or secured boxes (cannot be loose in containers).
  • All recyclables must be in recycling bins (Blue Boxes).  Clear plastic garbage bags are no longer being accepted by our contractor.
  • Blue Boxes containing non-recyclable material (garbage items) will result in the entire contents of the Blue Box not being picked up.
  • All residential units have a limit of 2 bags of waste per unit/pick-up.
  • All seasonable dwellings have a limit of 2 bags of waste per pick-up.
  • All businesses have a limit of 6 bags of waste per pick-up.
  • Oversized garbage bags will not be picked-up.
  • All household garbage and recycling shall be placed at the curb/driveway by 7:30 am.
  • Do not leave garbage out overnight.
  • Keep your garbage bin clean.

Collection is for household waste and household recyclables ONLY – the municipality will not collect other materials such as brush, leaves, grass clippings, furniture, white metal, clothing, shoes, etc…
NOTE: No limit on recycling bags or bins

Acceptable Recycling Items

Glass Bottles and Jars
Rinse containers. No need to remove labels. Place metal lids in your blue box.

Metal Containers
Includes: food and beverage cans and aluminum foil trays and pie plates. Rinse and push lids down inside.

Includes: newspapers and inserts, magazines and glossies, catalogues, junk mail, phone books, paperback books, household paper, paper gift wrap, greeting cards, and paper bags.

Cardboard and Boxboard
Includes: food boxes (cereal, cookie, pizza, frozen food with liners removed), tissue and toothpaste boxes, shoe boxes, paper egg cartons, and detergent boxes. Remove plastic and flatten to 30” x 30”. Place in or beside the blue box. Do not include waxed cardboard.

Beverage Cartons and Boxes
Includes juice boxes, milk, cream, broth, soup and wine cartons. Please rinse. Remove straw from drinking boxes and place in garbage.

Plastics labelled 1 to 7. Please rinse
(look for triangle with the number in center on plastic containers)

Empty aerosol cans and dry paint cans
Remove lids from paint cans and place both in your blue box.

Toxic Items You Shouldn't Toss in the Trash

Motor Oil – the only proper — and legal — way to get rid of motor oil is to place it in a clean plastic container with a tight lid and bring it to a location willing to take it off your hands, such as recycling centers, car service stations and automotive stores.
One important note is that used motor oil shouldn’t be mixed with anything else — such as paint, gasoline, solvents and antifreeze — because that will render it unsuitable for recycling.

Electronics – Old TVs, DVD players, VCRs, cassette decks, CD players, cell phones, alarm clocks, video cameras, desktop computers, laptops, printers, video game consoles, iPods … how many of these electronic waste (e-waste) items do you have stashed away in your basement, attic or storage unit?
“E-waste in general contains heavy metals such as cadmium and lead, meaning that your electronics should not go in the trash, “Although e-waste accounts for only 1 to 4 percent of municipal waste, it may be responsible for as much as 70 percent of the heavy metals in landfills, including 40 percent of all lead.”
The most environmentally friendly way to dispose of e-waste is to donate it for reuse or drop it off at a recycling center. Drop-off at the landfill site in the electronic bin.

Oil-based paints, coatings, stains, varnishes, paint removers and strippers qualify as household hazardous waste (HHW) because they contain chemicals that can be harmful to humans, animals and the environment. HHW items should never be disposed of in the trash or down the drain.
Latex (water-based) paints are not considered hazardous, so lidless, dried-out cans can be disposed of with regular trash. If you have 1 inch or less of leftover latex, open the lid to dry it out, away from children and pets. Larger amounts of latex paint can be dried out by using waste paint hardener or by mixing it with kitty litter. You can place empty metal paint cans in your recycling bins.

Batteries – Different types of batteries have to be disposed of in different ways, but none of these include tossing them in the recycling bin. Rechargeable batteries (including nickel cadmium, nickel metal hydride, small sealed lead acid and lithium ion batteries) can be recycled at participating retail collection points.
Lead acid automotive batteries contain corrosive and toxic chemicals that are very harmful to the environment, making them illegal to discard in your garbage or recycling bin. Instead, bring your car battery to the store when you buy a new one — retailers are required to take the old battery.

Fluorescent light bulbs and compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) – while much better for the environment than regular light bulbs — contain a miniscule amount of mercury (about 5 milligrams) that is released when the light bulb is broken.
CFLs can also be dropped off at any Home Depot or IKEA store.

Smoke Detectors – First, you need to determine what type of smoke detector you have. Ionization chamber smoke detectors (ICSDs) contain a small amount of ionizing radiation in order to detect the presence of smoke. Because of this radioactive material, ICSDs are categorized as a hazardous substance by the Fire Protection Agency. For this reason, it’s extremely important to properly dispose of old smoke alarms.
After removing its batteries — see #4 for how to get rid of those — mail the ICSD back to the manufacturer. The address of the supplier is usually listed in the product warranty or user’s manual. Send it by ground delivery, not air, because there are laws restricting radioactive materials on airplanes. You can also find a drop-off location or HHW event in your area if the manufacturer will not accept the unit.
Photoelectric smoke detectors, which use a photo sensor and light beam to detect smoke, do not contain radioactive material and can be taken to any electronics recycling facility (see #2).
Dual or combination smoke detectors have both ionization and photoelectric smoke sensors, so they do contain a tiny amount of radioactive material and should be disposed of in the same way as ICSDs.

Mercury thermometers – Those old-school glass thermometers that mom used to take your temperature with may have been edged out by electronic thermometers, but many households still have these relics lying around.
The average mercury thermometer contains 500 milligrams of mercury, which can become a health hazard if the thermometer is accidentally broken. Mercury is a neurotoxin that especially poses serious health risks to pregnant women and kids because it can harm an unborn baby or young child’s developing nervous system. This potential danger has caused several states, including New York, California and Connecticut, to ban the sale of mercury-fever thermometers.
Some areas even offer exchange programs that will trade you a new electronic thermometer for your old mercury one.

Construction Pass

A construction pass is required before any out-of-town contractor working for a resident or landowner of the Municipality is permitted access to the landfill site for the disposal of any type of refuse.

The construction pass must be presented to the landfill site attendant before construction material or waste of any kind be accepted.

The construction pass is issued to contractors by the building control department through the building permit process.

Contractors without a construction pass will be refused access to the site, and promptly reported to the building control department.

Tipping Fees

Click here for current By-Law

Tipping fees are applicable for the following items:

Tires (no rims/standard size)No ChargeWhite Metal GoodsNo ChargeFridges/Freezers - must be tagged prior to dumpingNo ChargeGarbage bags (household only)$3.00 / bagPick up load$30.00 / loadTrailer – 12 feet or less$30.00 / loadUp to 5 ton tag along trailer (includes dump trailers)$55.00 / load5 ton truck$75.00 / loadTandem dump truck$125.00 / loadTri-axle dump truck$155.00 / loadCamping / House trailer (1 axle)$55.00 / itemCamping / House trailer (2+ axles)$150.00 / itemGrass clippings, leaves and brushNo ChargeElectronicsNo ChargeYearly pass for businesses (Jan to Dec)$175.00Yearly pass for trailer parks (Jan to Dec)$150.00 base fee + $6.00 / trailer lot

**Including Taxes**

Most tipping fees can be paid directly to the Landfill site attendant by cash or cheque only. Tipping passes for businesses and trailer parks must be purchased at the Municipal office  and a pass will be issued. Municipal office accepts cash, cheque or debit. We do not accept credit card. The tipping pass must be presented to the Landfill Site attendant before any rateable item will be accepted.

Effective September 21st, 2022 (except Trailer Parks Yearly Pass is effective January 1, 2023)

Share with a friend

    Built By Sofa Communications