Duties of Council
The council of the municipality is very important to the community. Powers given to the incorporated municipality are exercised, on behalf of the inhabitants, by the elected council – making councillors the most important players (officially).
The following are the duties of certain municipal officials and employees.
Head of Council
It is the role of head of council,
- to act as chief executive officer of the municipality;
- to preside over council meetings;
- to provide leadership to the council;
- to represent the municipality at official functions; and
- to carry out the duties of the head of council under this or any other Act.
It is the role of council,
- to represent the public and to consider the well-being and interests
- of the municipality;
- to develop and evaluate the policies and programs of the municipality;
- to determine which services the municipality provides;
- to ensure that administrative practices and procedures are in place to implement the decisions of council;
- to maintain the financial integrity of the municipality; and
- to carry out the duties of council under this or any other Act.
A municipality shall appoint a clerk whose duty it is,
- to record without note or comment, all resolutions, decisions and other proceedings of the council;
- if required by any member present at a vote, to record the name and vote of every member voting on any matter or question;
- to keep the originals or copies of all by-laws and of all minutes of the proceedings of the council;
- to perform the other duties required under this Act or any other Act; and
- to perform such other duties as are assigned by the municipality.
Procedural By-law click here By-law 2019-06