Fishing & Camping
Situated in Northern Ontario, the residents of the Municipality of St.-Charles and visitors have access to a variety of lakes:
- Nepewassi Lake
Fish that are found in this lake are pickerel, pike, musky and bass
- West Arm of Lake Nipissing
Fish that are found in this lake are pickerel, pike, musky, cisco, whitefish and large and small mouth bass
- Barlow Lake
Fish that are found in this lake are pickerel, pike, and large mouth bass
- And many more small lakes located on crown land
Fish that are found in these waters are mostly pike and bass
These lakes offer great fishing, camping and beautiful scenery
Nepewassi Lake is 16 miles long and well known for its quality & variety of fish, such as: pickerel (walleye), large & small mouth bass, musky, tiger musky, northern pike, perch and burbot. While fishing you will enjoy the beautiful shoreline of tall pines, white birch & colorful maples surrounding the majestic rock formations, and of course the beaver dams. You may even see a moose, or a bear or a deer swimming across the lake, making a camera a must. We offer small game hunting as well as big game hunting.
West Arm of Lake Nipissing
The West Arm of Lake Nipissing has the advantage of being narrow and winding which unlike the main lake never gets dangerous for travel but still offers great fishing and many coves and bays to explore.
Lake Nipissing, 831 square km, at elevation 196 m,is the fifth-largest in Ontario excluding the great lakes, and is located 50 km northeast of Georgian Bay. Its name derives from a native language word meaning “little water.” Lake Nipissing runs in an east-west direction to a length of 80 km. Because it parallels the prevailing winds, navigation is frequently treacherous. It is comparatively shallow (about 10 m in most places) and is consequently well aerated, which is conducive to healthy plant and fish life. Dozens of rivers and streams drain into Lake Nipissing, the largest being the Sturgeon River. Historically its 2 most important outlets were the Mattawa River, which links it to the Ottawa River system, and the French River, which issues from its southwest end, draining into Georgian Bay. Along this Ottawa-north Georgian Bay route travelled the early French explorers – the first being Étienne Brulé in 1610 – tracing a path followed by fur traders for the next 200 years. Permanent settlement around the lake dates from 1874 at Nipissing village in the southeast and from 1882 at North Bay when the CPR reached its NE shore. From the 1880s through to WWI Lake Nipissing was a major transportation route for settlers and lumbering, as steamships plied it regularly. Since then it has served mainly as a tourist and recreation waterway. www.nipissing.com